DBCC is a state-wide, local nonprofit with offices in all three counties. We have 17 full- and part-time staff members who work together to provide programs and services in the community. We will begin to profile staff members individually to get to know more about what they do for DBCC and the community.
Carolina Vano Johnson, Bilingual Scheduler
Since I moved to the US two years ago I have lived in Clayton, DE but I am originally from Alcoy, Alicante
a nice little town on the east coast of Spain surrounded by mountains.
|Carolina in her hometown in Spain
Background: I have a Bachelors degree in Economics and Business Administration and also a Masters degree in Internationalization of Enterprises. I have always worked in the administration and financial departments for small companies and large corporations. Though I have years of experience in those fields I have had difficulty finding employment in the US. Fortunately one day I found this job listing in the newspaper and so I thought…”this may be my chance.” DBCC gave me the opportunity I was looking for to prove myself here and now this occasion has turned into a very rewarding experience.
What do you do at DBCC? I am a bilingual Spanish-English scheduler and sometimes I translate for our Spanish patients on the mammography van.
Favorite hobby? I love spending time with my family and enjoying the nature here in Delaware. There are lots of Natural Parks so we try not to miss any opportunity we have to go camping, trekking, riding bicycles, watching wild life and fishing in the Delaware Bay.
Favorite part about working at DBCC?
Working at DBCC is the most grateful job I have ever had. Not only because of the great team that I have the opportunity to work with everyday who go above and beyond in the fight against breast cancer, but also because of all the support and gratitude of all the women that I have the pleasure to speak with everyday.
To contact Carolina, please email cjohnson (at) debreastcancer.org.
It’s officially Spring and it’s time to put away the chunky sweaters and boots and bring out the Spring dresses and sandals. Spring 2013 promises to be a great one for fashion. We searched through all the top fashion magazines and blogs and put together a list of some of the top trends this Spring. You can find many of these items at Great Stuff…and for a lot less than you will at the department stores.
2013 Spring Trends:
- The prominent color of Spring is green—including a wide range from sour apple green and midori to the blue-greens of cool mint and beach glass.
- Iridescent accents on skirts, tops, colored trenches and accessories. To achieve this look experiment with pastel color palettes and shades of silver.
- Focus on easy-breezy pieces that fall away from the body with a totally relaxed feeling. Mix dynamic bright colors with neutrals to achieve a balance.
- Self expression is another way to wear this season’s colors. Every woman should have an embroidered jacket and some colorful tees in their wardrobe for Spring.
- Graphic prints were big on the runway this season. From bold patterns to funky animal print, you’re sure to make a statement. Balance it out with some neutral accessories.
- All white was big on the runways as well with structured white dresses and skirts. Have some fun with cutout dresses or sheer pieces.
- Denim never goes out of style. Throw on a cute denim jacket or find an oversized denim shirt to wear as a tunic belted at the waist.
Accessory Trend Report:
- For necklaces, the chunkier, the better this season! Find some heavy beaded necklaces and pair them with simple tops for a bold statement.
- Gypsy-like jewelry is also big this season. Lots of colorful beaded necklaces that can be layered and paired with fun, dangling earrings.
- Tote bags are back in season! Find a structured tote bag with a cool pattern to carry around this Spring.
- For sunglasses, it’s all about the statement. Find sunglasses that oversized or come in bright colors.
Stop in to Great Stuff today to find these Spring must have items for a fraction of the price. Not fashion savvy? Don’t worry! Great Stuff has a great staff of volunteers who can help you find what you are looking for. Let them be your personal stylist and put together outfits that are perfect for you!
Check out our newly expanded Designer Boutique located under the pink chandelier in the back of the shop. There you will find a special collection of top, high-end designers you love at a fraction of the original price! Now is your chance to purchase that Valentino, St. John, Marc Jacobs, Christian Dior or Burberry item that you always wanted. Do you love accessories? We offer shoes and handbags by Channel, Kate Spade, Coach and many more designers! Our inventory changes daily, so stop by often to not miss out on your dream fashion item!
And as you are doing your Spring cleaning, remember that you can donate your gently used women’s clothing and accessories to Great Stuff. Donations are tax-deductible and all proceeds benefit the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition. Learn more at www.greatstuffresale.com.