|Peggie with her award
The DE-feet Breast Cancer 5K Run/Walk is less than a month away so we sat down with one of last year’s top fundraisers Peggie Ball to find out why she walks, how she puts her team together, and how she raises money for DBCC and the fight against breast cancer.
Peggie Ball of Selbyville, DE is a breast cancer survivor who has a passion for getting involved and giving back. Last year, she chose to walk in the Second Annual DE-feet Breast Cancer 5K and when asked why, she said “Because DBCC is a local organization and I believe in their programs. The main reason I do this walk is because I know it is helping local people.”
Last year, Peggie created a team and called it “Walking for All.” She said she chose this name because, “this is not about me or a specific person, this is about everyone who has been impacted by breast cancer and we are walking for all of them.”
Peggie said aside from her work collecting donations for the Raven’s Roost, this is the only fundraising event she does all year. So how does she do it?
|Team “Walking for All” with their fun accessories!
She explained that one of the most important things is to start early. “I sent a letter in December before the holidays letting people know that they would hear from me soon about this event,” she said. After her initial contact, she followed up with an e-mail in early February with a link to her fundraising page. Peggie then recruits some of her friends to join the team and asks them to reach out to their friends and family for donations.
The “Walking for All” team has no shortage of fun at the event. Peggie has a collection of pink visors with feathers, headbands, scarves, and crazy hats for her team members to wear at the event. “There’s no rhyme or reason…just for fun!”
Peggie’s Top Fundraising Advice:
- Start Fundraising Early
- Be concise when asking for donations but also be ready to give more detail.
- Offer to input checks and donations for people.
Other fun fundraising ideas:
- Throw a party for your friends who donate to your cause!Offer hors d’oeuvres and drinks for every person who donated $20 or more. This is a great way to raise money while having fun with your friends.
- Create a Spare Change fundraiser. Ask all your friends and family (or even local stores) to place a jar in a visible place to collect spare change. Pennies do add up!
- Start a Blue Jeans Friday. Ask if you can ask everyone to wear blue jeans to work if they donate $5 to your cause
- Sell yourself as a personal chef! Raffle off your cooking skills and offer a home cooked meal for two.
- Host a jewelry party for you and your friends. Charge $5 to attend and have everyone bring 1 or 2 pieces of jewelry that they don’t mind parting with, and do a silent auction or swap.
- Get the help of your company! Many employers offer matching funds programs. Your $50 donation could turn into $100!
- Use social media, such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, to reach out and ask for donations from your virtual community of friends and colleagues.
- Ask for money! Sometime the most direct route is the best. Write up a donation letter (or e-mail) and send it to 10 friends. Ask those ten friends to send it to ten of their friends. The message will quickly get out about your event, and the funds will start rolling in.
The DE-feet Breast Cancer Run/Walk will include a timed 5K Run, an untimed 5K Walk, and a 1-Mile Fun Walk. The run begins at 8 am and the walk at 9 am with registration starting at 7 am at the Tanger Outlet’s Seaside Location in the Applebee’s parking lot. You can register online here. For more information about the DE-feet Breast Cancer Run/Walk, please visit www.defeetbreastcancerwalk.org.